With stay-at-home orders lifting in the communities we serve, building and facilities maintenance is critical as businesses prepare to welcome back employees, vendors, and customers.
CertaSite is here for you. As an essential business, CertaSite provides critical fire and life safety products and services to keep you safe and beyond compliance. We have compiled a list of recommendations so you are prepared to welcome employees and visitors back to your facility.
Building Maintenance Checklist:
- Fire and Life Safety Systems – Check and maintain all fire and life safety systems, even when you are not in the building. Local, state, and federal building codes require fire protection systems to be regularly inspected and tested. Deficiencies are often discovered during regular maintenance and inspections or when systems and parts aren’t operating properly.According to industry experts, the top deficiencies that lead to citations during a fire marshal inspection are expired batteries, bad smoke detector heads in fire alarm systems, overdue five-year internal inspections, and bad gauges in sprinkler systems. We have put the full list on our website.
Cleaning and Disinfecting – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) outlines protocols for keeping your facility clean and safe, using EPA registered disinfectants, PPE, and employee training. It’s also important to practice social distancing and invite as few vendors as possible into your facilities. You can expect your CertaSite service technicians to:
- Practice social distancing by staying 6’ apart from all other humans.
- Conduct and complete a health survey for each job.
- Wear protective gloves and masks while onsite and while completing all work.
- Practice good hygiene. Our technicians carry hand sanitizer, and it’s in our trucks. We frequently disinfect our equipment and trucks.
- Flooring – Your floors should be cleaned using soap and warm water or the appropriate cleaner that is best for the type of floors in your facility. Here’s guidance on EPA-registered household disinfectant to use against COVID-19.
- Painting – When your facility is empty or sparsely populated, this is the best time to take care of routine maintenance like touch-up painting or larger paint jobs.
- Deep Clean Common Areas – Thoroughly clean and completely disinfect all common areas such as restrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms. You also should incorporate this into your daily routine so that your facility will stay as safe as possible for your staff and visitors. The CDC outlines the best protocols for conducting your deep cleaning, including frequently touched areas.
- Window Cleaning – Unattended buildings lead to dirty windows outdoors and inside due to excess dust particles. Clean windows are not only dirt and bacteria-free, but they also let the sunshine in, offering a brighter, happier environment for those inside.
- Landscaping – Check the landscaping around your facility to make sure everything is safe, clear, and free from any unkempt plants or vegetation that may lead to accidents or that may invite unwanted pests to the area.
- Update Pertinent Paperwork – Since it may have been some time since it’s been business as usual in your facility, there may be some paperwork and record-keeping that’s piled up. Getting your paperwork organized now will make for a smooth transition for your teams as they return.
- General Decluttering – Clutter can be a fire hazard. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) drives this point home by urging facility managers to be mindful that fire doors remain operable and free from blockages at all times, even when your facility is closed.
CertaSite is here to ensure your crucial fire and life safety systems are running properly and are ready to protect your most important assets as your business reopens. We encourage you to request a free quote so we may partner with you on assuring your fire and life safety systems are in optimal repair and condition. Until then, please stay safe and healthy and let us know how we can better serve you.
CertaSite is a commercial fire protection and life safety company founded in 2018. We take a new approach to fire and life safety, going beyond compliance to give our clients an unmatched level of customer service and tech-based control over their fire and life safety systems. Our team of experts serves 13 locations. CertaSite is headquartered in Indianapolis. Visit www.certasitepro.com for more information.